Partners in Excellence
Partnerships are an integral part of our strategy as we move to the Next Era of Excellence. This includes our partnership with Washington State University. Partners in Excellence is an enhanced partnership that brings together the resources of the hospital and a leading research university with a medical school to improve community health.
Specific areas of collaboration are:
- Health & Wellness Support and Education - A commitment to build healthier communities, unique to the region, including the WSU student population and an aging population in a rural area of the state. Mobilizing resources and sharing expertise can result in improved health outcomes.
- Clinical Affiliation Agreements/Workforce Training - To provide experiential training and mentoring to enhance opportunities for students from all of WSU’s health sciences programs, WSU College of Nursing, WSU College of Pharmacy and the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine.
- Human Resources/Employee Recruitment & Retention - As two major employers in the region, we will work together to coordinate and promote employment opportunities.
- Advancement through Community and Alumni Engagement - To work with supporters of both organizations, including WSU Alumni, to facilitate fundraising efforts for healthcare projects.
- Innovative Health Solutions - Through the hospital’s Center for Learning & Innovation and WSU’s healthcare and health science programs, provide joint research and project development on population health and advancement of care.
Rural Residency Program
We're proud to work with Washington State University to provide a family medicine residency program to build a pipeline of physicians on the Palouse. There is significant disparity in residency education in eastern and central Washington, with only 6 percent of the graduate medical education and training programs in the state located east of the Cascades.
“Pullman Regional Hospital is a critical access hospital located in a rural county. This makes it an ideal environment for a family medicine residency program,” said Gerald Early, M.D., chief medical officer for Pullman Regional Hospital.
Official Hospital of Washington State Athletics
In addition to our academic and clinical affiliations, we've also been designated as the Official Hospital of Washington State Athletics. That means we're the primary source of hospital services for WSU student athletes – to treat them and to keep them healthy. The Orthopedic Center of Excellence has a reputation as the regional hospital of choice for orthopedic procedures, and our skilled surgeons are recognized as top surgeons in their specialty.
Meet the surgeon who takes care of the Cougs
Dr. Ed Tingstad
Dr. Tingstad has worked at Pullman Regional Hospital for 19 years and serves as the team physician for the Washington State University Cougars.